Saturday, August 4, 2012

Das letzte Hemd hat keine Taschen!

There's a saying in German:
  Das letzte Hemd hat keine Taschen
Which essentially means that the last shirt has no pockets and that you'll leave this earth empty handed irrespective of how much wealth you have accumulated over the years... :)

Growing up I could see that my parents put more emphasis on helping out anyone and everyone rather than saving up for a rainy day and I resented that. Not the help that they gave (I respect and admire them for it), but the fact that they didn't plan on buying property and we kept on shuttling from one rented house to the other upset me till very recently.

After setting up home in a different city I thought of buying property myself... and thought and thought and thought about it. The options available didn't really encourage me to invest in the property market. Essentially, if you don't have enough to buy a property outright and need to take a loan, it translates into YEARS of loan repayment (keeping in mind the HIGH INTEREST RATES that DOUBLE the loan amount!!!) and ending up with something which you might not be happy with in the end.

Maybe it is the classic case of the grapes being sour... or maybe the realisation dawned on me that yes, das letzte Hemd hat keine Taschen! ... forget about a house fitting into any pocket anyway! LOL

So, instead of trying to earn big bucks and being hellbent on investing in the property market I'll keep on concentrating on enjoying what I do! :D

I do understand my parents finally! :) Thank you Mamma, Papaji, for being what you are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment